Sunday, July 29, 2007

Effective chat contents

A common request for Adium's AS support is to add a way to get at the contents of a chat. Adium doesn't actually keep track of this. So, it turns out to be a hard problem.

The trick turns out to be reading from the chat logs. But this can be rather slow, as a chat may be very long. So, boredzo is writing an NSEnumerator subclass for me that will parse the logs. That way, I can effeciently traverse them, without taking too much time. That means that 'get message 342 of chat 1' will take longer than 'get message 1 of chat 1', but that's what will need to happen, I guess.

2 comments:

ssvenn said...

Have you seen the http://trac.adiumx.com/ticket/2864 suggestion? Is this possible to implement?
I'm trying to rig adium so it sends incoming chat messages to proxi through applescript so i can get it displayed on my logitech g15 keyboard's screen.. but it looks like adium is making me jump through tons of hoops to make this work...

applmak said...

I don't think that would be difficult, though its out of my original scope. If I finish my work early, I'll be sure to tackle it.